Thursday, February 9, 2012

Itazura na Kiss Review

Based on Kaoru Tada’s manga of the same name, Itazura Na Kiss has been adapted a few times for screenplays in Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea. This review, however, is about the 1996 Japanese version, the first ever adaptation of this manga. Starring Takashi Kashiwabara and Aiko Sato.

Itazura Na Kiss (1996)

Japanese Title: イタズラなKiss
Chinese Title: 一吻定情
Alternative Titles: Naughty Kiss, Teasing Kiss
Language: Japanese
Genre: Romantic-comedy
Duration: 9
Telecast: 1996





Synopsis:
After Kotoko Aihara’s accidental kiss with Naoki Irie, Kotoko has fallen deeply in love with Naoki. Naoki is the most popular guy in school. He is very bright and handsome but is very cold to people. Kotoko, however, is an average girl who doesn’t seem to be good at anything. She is everything Naoki doesn’t like in a girl.

When a fire incident destroys all her family’s property, Kotoko’s dad Shigeo accepts help from his childhood friend Machiko. The father and daughter move to Machiko’s place, only to find out, to Kotoko’s surprise, that Machiko is actually Naoki’s mother. Now she has to live with her crush after the humiliating “kiss”.

Wishing that Naoki will reciprocate her feelings, she promises herself to make Naoki fall in love with her, even if he seems to be out of her league. During Kotoko’s stay, Naoki, unknowingly, seems to fall for her.


Cheerfulnuts’ Review:
Itazura Na Kiss is pure silliness. Silly in such a way that it would hurt your tummy for laughing so hard. Japanese comedies have always been hilarious to me, but Itazura na Kiss is one of the funniest I’ve seen so far. I’ve read a lot of viewers comment about how much they hate Kotoko. She is annoying, but I guess Aiko Sato’s acting worked for her role. She is supposed to be as irritating as possible so that Irie-kun would dislike her as much as he could; thus, making the story very comical and amusing.

Takashi Kashiwabara, on the other hand, is perfect for this role. He is extremely handsome! It’s not hard to understand why his Irie-kun is so popular in his school. Kashiwabara’s looks alone could sweep any girl off her feet. Despite the lead girl’s silliness, I’m still tickled pink in every bit of kindness Irie-kun shows to her (no matter how trivial it is).

The plot is very simple and light. It’s perfect to watch after a hard day’s work. Both young and old would find this entertaining. However, just for you to know, I haven’t read the manga and I haven’t watched other versions so I don’t have anything to compare it to. Also, I have no idea how viewers who have watched the other versions would feel after watching this. I have also learned that the author had died prematurely before she could finish the manga series. Since I haven’t read the manga, I’m not sure if the series have ended it “right”. I love the ending though. But I have one gripe with the ending – it’s not convincing at all.

Overall, this drama offers you what it promises: romance and comedy. However, it is more comical to me than romantic. If you want those two in a drama, then you may safely add Itazura na Kiss to your “to-watch” list.


Cheerfulnuts’ Verdict:
9 out of 10 stars






Related Products:

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite Japanese series. I instantly fell in love with Takashi Kashiwabara (Naoki) in this drama. I think the actress Aiko Sato (Kotoko)is too silly though. Despite that, I still think that the series is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriousnuts, I agree! I'm a bit annoyed with Kotoko, too. But if she wasn't that silly, Itazura na Kiss wouldn't be so funny.

    ReplyDelete