Saturday, July 27, 2013

49 Days Review

Year: 2011
Episodes: 20
Language: Korean
Genre: drama, fantasy, romance

49 days
Image Credit: 49 Days


Synopsis: 

After a serious car accident, Shin Ji Hyun (Nam Gyu Ri) is pronounced as brain dead. It's not her time to die yet, so her soul remains on earth. She meets the Scheduler (Jung Il Woo) and is given a task to collect at least three tears that are 100% genuine from people that are not blood-related to her. If she is able to complete this mission within 49 days, she gets to live again. She borrows the body of Yi Kyung (Lee Yo Won), a girl who wants to die and lives like a zombie for five years. As the series progresses, the bond between the two different women becomes stronger. Ji Hyun also starts to see her life from a different perspective as she learns about the man who truly loves her.


Cheerfulnuts' Review: 

Watching 49 Days makes me feel like being possessed by a spirit. I became hooked and couldn't get it off my mind. The drama starts with all the characters being introduced in one episode. Before I get to like any of them, a girl dies. I didn't even know that she's the protagonist (I haven't seen the poster). From then on, I became addicted to 49 days. I couldn't wait to see what was next!

The story focuses on Ji Hyun, the nearly-dead girl who has an almost perfect life during her lifetime. She is rich and loved by her parents. She is about to get married to a wonderful man. Her friends love her. But K-dramas seem to hate happy people. Before she can live happily ever after, a woman named Yi Kyung attempts suicide by running into traffic. She doesn't die but she causes a truck to swerve, which leads to several car crashes. Just then, the happy Ji Hyun arrives to the scene and her car crashes to a truck. Her soul pops out of her body and she is shocked to see herself unconscious in her car. She helplessly watches herself being rushed to the hospital and her loved ones crying over her.

She realizes that she's become a ghost. Only one man can see her though. He is known as the Scheduler, which is the series' fancy term for Grim Reaper. He explains that she is not supposed to be dead. Since it's not her time yet, she is given a chance to reclaim her life by collecting three tears that are 100 percent genuine. It means that at least three people have genuinely loved her, making her life worth living again. To do this, she is allowed to borrow the body of Yi Kyung while she sleeps. There are rules though, and the most important one is she cannot tell anyone that she's Ji Hyun.

The girl is relieved to hear it. She is confident that she can retrieve three tears in no time. She believes she can even collect more than that. Little does she know that getting those tears is not as easy as she thinks. And she realizes this painful reality as the drama progresses.

The drama has piqued my curiosity. The storyline may not be very original, but it's very interesting. As I followed Ji Hyun in her mission, I could actually feel that I am her. The emotions are very real. I watched her collapse as she learns about her bestfriend and her fiance's betrayal. I watched her parents trying to be strong for their daughter. I watched her old classmate Han Kang loving her even without her knowing it. It shows the irony of life. Sometimes, life isn't what is seems to be. People whom you think love you may not really love you, and those you think hate you may have loved you all along. It gives me a different perspective about life, love, and relationship. It's sad that Ji Hyun only gets to see who truly loves her when she's half-dead. I came to a conclusion that it's not your status, your career, nor your appearance that defines who you are. It's your soul that counts. And those who can see right through your thick outer shell are the ones who truly love you. We focus too much on superficial things.

Despite the gravity of the plot, 49 Days has it's light and sweet moments too. The Scheduler provides a comic relief in the story. He's one funny Grim Reaper LOL. What's more amusing is he has a story too. I love the love story of this drama. I am definitely a fan of Han Kang's (Jo Hyun Jae) character! I just love the chemistry between him and Ji Hyun/Yi Kyung. Han Kang is one stubborn guy who has been in love with Ji Hyun since high school. Of course, Ji Hyun doesn't know it and thinks he hates her. Another lesson learned: let the woman you love know your feelings.

In terms of acting, most actors did a great job. The Scheduler is the favorite of viewers. While I agree, I think Kang Min Ho (Bae Soo Bin) is the best actor in the series. Ninety-nine percent of a time, he did a decent job. But the remaining 1%, which is when he exhibits strong emotions, is really superb!

This is one of the few K-dramas that make me think really hard. It has made it to my list of favorite dramas of all time. SPOILER ALERT: My only gripe is the ending! Yes, I can deal with Ji Hyun's death. But not telling Han Kang about it, or not even telling him she loves him, is totally absurd! Before Ji Hyun finishes her 49 days, she cries to the Scheduler and says she's willing to give up her three remaining days in exchange for three hours with Han Kang as herself. But when she can finally do it, I don't understand why she has to pretend not to love him! Anyway, the ending got mixed reactions. You may like it or you may hate it.

Overall, this Korean drama is a must-watch! 49 Days made me cry bucket of tears. It has several poignant moments. I really appreciate to see the increasing bond between Ji Hyun and Yi Kyung. Ji Hyun used to be a bit selfish (though she has a big heart). Seeing her starting to care for Yi Kyung is a turning point in her character. It makes me love her more. I highly recommend this drama to everyone.


Cheerfulnuts' Verdict: 

9 out of 10 stars





One less star because of that one gripe.


No comments:

Post a Comment